Thursday, December 29, 2016

Greetings :)

Instead of trying to figure out how to write a decent introduction for this blog,  I'd rather tell you how this blog came to be.  I'm a writer, a teacher. a seeker, an intuitive and an artist.  To be honest, I'm much more than these mere labels, but for the sake of establishing a reader-connection with you, it's important that you understand where I'm coming from.  This blog was born out of a desire for truthful self-expression, a need to heal and stay grounded and a safe place to share my journey.

This morning I was having coffee with a friend when she said something that resonated with my core.   She asked me "why are you so afraid to allow yourself to just 'be'?".  I'm an over thinker.  In fact, I'm an over-over thinker.  In many ways, this has served me well.  I'm able to analyze poetry and beautiful works of art.  I'm able to create new, imaginative spaces with my mind for future paintings.  I can engage in deep, meaningful conversations and I can philosophize/argue till the cows come home.  Things are great when you're in the yin/yang of thinking.  However, when there is a shift in the use/context of thinking, this once amazing, fantastical human tool, turns into a maze-trap.  Creativity becomes anxiety and bright, saturated colours of the mind become dull shadows.

This blog is by no means meant to be depressing or a glimpse into the stereotypical 'tortured soul' of the artist or creative mind.  What I would like to do, however, is challenge those who are between the fantastical and anxious to re-examine the truth behind their perceptions.  Mother Teresa said "There is a light in this world....more powerful than any darkness we may encounter", which reminds me so much of the quote "Stars shine the brightest in darkness".  What if the way/path between all pleasure and pain is to BE the light inside of the dark?  Why are we so afraid to just 'be' in dark moments?  My friend inspired me to not only write about this, but to start this blog as a portal to deeper understanding and wisdom of the self.  This is my opportunity to 'just be' - whatever that means.  I want this to be an outlet of pure, truthful and intentional musings.

It's interesting that sometimes when we feel out of balance, be it with our health or any other area of our life, it's the thing that 'rubs us the wrong way' that becomes our greatest opportunity for growth.  I am currently experiencing this with my 'gut' - something inside the pit of my stomach is irritated or if I was honest, inflamed with 'fear'.  The intuitive part of me knows to seek within and ask "What am I supposed to learn from this? - What are you here to teach me?".  The poet Rumi once said: "If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?".  I know that this current inner-irritation is a blessing in disguise.  Perhaps it's even the catalyst to start this blog.  I have to admit that the most profound truths come from the Bible.  If there is any inspiration for the spiritual value of this blog, this is it 'Ephesians 4:22-24' - "to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness".

BE BLESSED and 'Just BE' - I'm uber excited for the evolution of this blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment